Junior Volunteer program at ETMC Tyler
From the hospital’s opening in 1951, young people have played a role as volunteers within ETMC Tyler. Today’s ETMC Junior Volunteer program is designed for high school students who wish to give back to the community and learn about the healthcare environment. Acceptance into the program is an honor, so teens must show commitment even in the application process.
Requirements and dates to know prior to application for Summer 2015:
- The student must be entering the 10th grade or above when they return to school in the fall of 2015
- The student must be available to participate in the program Monday, June 15 through Friday, July 24
- New Junior Volunteers must attend orientation on Monday, June 8, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., no make-ups, no exceptions. Returning Junior Volunteers are exempt from orientation.
Upon acceptance, a Junior Volunteer commits to six weeks of service through a placement within the hospital – two four-hour shifts per week. Shifts are Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m. and 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Shifts may be worked on the same day or on two different days. One week’s absence is permitted, but the hours missed must be made up during the 6-week program. Each Junior Volunteer earns a minimum of 48 hours of service during the summer and is honored with a personalized certificate.
ETMC Junior Volunteers will:
- Have opportunities to tour hospital departments.
- Participate in the ETMC Leadership Academy, a series of programs that enhance life skills and help prepare teens for the college and career world.
- Plan and participate in a fundraising project that will benefit a particular program of the hospital.
- Have fun and meet new friends!
Serving as an ETMC Junior Volunteer is a great way to pick up new skills, interact with others your age, gain community service hours for school and provide valuable service to the community. Applications are accepted each spring. You may contact the Volunteer Resources department for further information at 903-531-8199.
Applications for the 2015 ETMC Tyler Junior Volunteer program are now available.
Please click on the applicable forms below for download.
Junior Volunteer Principal/Counselor recommendation form (must be printed on school letterhead)