At the center of a regional system of care
East Texas Medical Center Tyler serves as the flagship facility for our organization and is the largest medical referral center in all of East Texas. Specializing in advanced acute care medicine, ETMC Tyler provides advanced medical services from diagnosis through rehabilitation.
ETMC Tyler can trace its origins to 1949 when a visionary group of leaders began dreaming of developing Tyler as a healthcare center. That same year, Smith County residents approved a $1 million bond issue for the new hospital, while a significant federal grant provided other funds to construct the facility, at that time known as Medical Center Hospital.
The 110-bed, not-for-profit hospital began operations in September 1951 and boasted an ultra-modern design with five floors and a complete range of services for the time. Over the decades, the facility received numerous significant enhancements and expansions to meet the growing demand for Tyler area health care.
New alliances with hospitals throughout East Texas culminated in a new name for the hospital in 1990 — East Texas Medical Center Tyler —and the parent company — the East Texas Medical Center Regional Healthcare System.
Today’s ETMC Tyler
ETMC Tyler is a 464-bed hospital, working with area ETMC and other hospitals to provide specialized treatment and diagnostic procedures and to ensure continuity of care for patients who return to their community for recovery and follow-up care. Our role as a flagship hospital of the ETMC system means East Texans have the best of all worlds – the convenience of local healthcare in their home communities with the peace of mind that comes from knowing more advanced care is nearby at ETMC Tyler.
Our team of highly trained and educated professionals includes more than 500 physicians on the medical staff and a full complement of subspecialty groups. These providers are supported by the ETMC team, the men and women who are the heart of our hospital.