The 223-page volume was researched and written through a
partnership between ETMC and the Texas A&M Health Science
Center, School of Rural Public Health.
Many people and organizations also contributed photographs to
the book, including the Smith County Historical Society. Printing
of the book was made possible through past gifts to the ETMC
Foundation and a generous gift from The Vaughn Construction
Community Foundation in support of this legacy project.
"First in East Texas" begins in the late 1940s, as
community leaders in Tyler considered the need for a new hospital
that would help serve the entire East Texas region. Their dream was
realized in September 1951, with the opening of Medical Center
Hospital (now ETMC Tyler). The book then covers early leadership,
growth of the Tyler facility and the emerging opportunities for
regional growth through hospital affiliations. It profiles ETMC's
major service areas from emergency/trauma medicine to cardiac,
cancer, neurology and other areas of clinical excellence to
rehabilitation. The book also covers the team of ETMC employees,
physicians and volunteers, the corporate structure and a timeline
beginning in 1947.
To order your copy click here!