ETMC has locations throughout the East Texas region, an area surrounded by piney woods and lakes yet sprinkled with communities large and small that offer the best of outdoor fun, small town atmosphere and urban opportunity. East Texas life is filled with opportunities for leisure-time fun.
For the outdoor enthusiast you'll find:
- Numerous freshwater lakes provide fishing and boating outlets.
- SCUBA diving opportunities in Athens.
- Outdoor festivals are regularly scheduled throughout East Texas from the East Texas Yamboree in Gilmer to Tomato Fest in Jacksonville with a host of other events in between.
- In Tyler, the annual Rose Festival in the fall and the Azalea Trail, which dazzles the eyes during the spring months.
For those who enjoy theater and museums, East Texas communities have much to offer:
- A host of community and university theater programs and more are available.
- In Tyler, the University of Texas at Tyler's Cowan Center hosts a Broadway Series each year which brings in professional musicals and dramas.
- Each summer the Texas Shakespeare Festival is conducted in Kilgore and provides not only Shakespearean revivals but also other top-quality productions.
- Museums including the Discovery Science Museum, the Smith County Historical Museum and others are located throughout the region.
- Many historical sites are waiting to be explored, and the Caldwell Zoo in Tyler features big cats and other fascinating animals from North and South America and Africa.
- For music enthusiasts the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame can be found in Carthage.
Dallas, located 90 miles from Tyler, offers many fine restaurants, access to shopping, theater and other activities. Also about 90 miles from Tyler is Shreveport, Louisiana with more museums, art galleries and restaurants. Houston is a short distance from hospitals in the southern part of our region.
Colleges and universities are also located across the East Texas area. Tyler includes both UT Tyler and Tyler Junior College.